Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Upcycling: Prepping Cardboard Tubes

I've got an "itch" I've just got to "scratch".  And by "itch," I mean I have another craft project in mind.  And my "scratch," I mean it's time to start cutting up some of these toilet paper and paper towel tubes.


I have yet to decide just what the 1 inch lengths of cardboard will become.  But here's how I'm making my latest "crafter mess".

I'm using a shoelace to help me trace lines around the tubes at 1 inch intervals.  That's where the ruler comes in.  Finally, I use the pencil to draw my lines.  When I've finished drawing on my tube, I take the X-Acto knife and cut my lengths of tube.

There are so many ideas on Pinterest for these bits of cardboard, but like I said, I haven't really gone to the planning stage yet.  I'm just breaking things down for later use.

Silly Mia!  You're using sharp, pokey instruments to cut the cardboard, so you'd better put your disclaimers and such!

Ahem.

Please note that knives are very, very sharp.  When you use them repeatedly, like for cutting cardboard, they become dull.  When they become dull, there's a greater risk that the blade will slip and cut you severely.  So for the love of Pete, be extremely careful!  Please don't "zone out" like I did one time grating a potato.  Wound up with a sliver of my thumb in the hash browns.  :-<

To resharpen the blade (It can be done with X-Acto too, to a degree), use one of the sharpening tools that cooks use.

Now a tip about cutting the tubes: the seam.  It's best to cut the seam first.


I apologize for the poor quality of this photo.  Hopefully you can see the line near my thumb, and you can see the faint line of the seam curve diagonally.

The reason you want to cut here first: the cardboard is thicker here.  But again, be very careful as you rock the tip of the X-Acto blade back and forth on the line.

Also, please be aware that toilet paper tubes can differ in length.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Crazy Woman Hobbies. Please keep your comments clean and respectful. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Link Exchange with Crazy Woman Hobbies