Thursday, October 17, 2013

Kitchen Tip: Anti-caking Bag

I thought I'd call this a "kitchen tip," since this little project doesn't exactly fit under "upcycling".

I came up with this idea after having my baking powder turn into a "rock" once too often.  Since I don't bake frequently, and moisture gets into the can, I wind up having to "grind" the brick-like substance into powder again.

That gets old in a hurry.

I knew that rice was a good anti-caking agent in salt shakers.  But throwing a handful into the baking powder was just out of the question.  I don't want rice in my cornbread.


I apologize beforehand about the quality of this picture.  I think the camera's flash makes this look too blurry.  But not to worry, I'll describe the process and maybe you can make one for yourself.

I cut a paper coffee filter in half.

Then I put maybe 1 Tbsp. of long-grain rice in the middle.

After that, I carefully bunched up the edges, making sure not to spill the rice.  

Then I twisted the top and wrapped a bread twist tie around the "neck" of the bag.

So it would fit into the can of baking powder, I cut the paper filter above the twist tie.

I haven't had a problem with clumped baking powder since using this little trick.  Please let me know how it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Crazy Woman Hobbies. Please keep your comments clean and respectful. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Link Exchange with Crazy Woman Hobbies