Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cooking: Lentil "Meatloaf"

The original recipe can be found here: Super Lentil Loaf.  I made it this afternoon, but I modified it a little to suit my own tastes.  It came out good and gave me an improved sense of well-being.


Since the recipe calls for 3 cups of cooked lentils, I just used a 1 lb. bag.  It kept things simple.  And there's enough there for four meals at least.

I think it could use a thicker layer of the ketchup-brown sugar sauce.  I added some chipotle pepper sauce to the ketchup-brown sugar mix.  It's very good that way.

As for the "meatloaf", I used a potato masher instead of a food processor.  My poor blender couldn't handle the lentils.  I reserved maybe a tablespoon of the cooking liquid and added about 1/2 cup of milk.  Instead of the mashed Youkon Gold potatoes, I used enough potato flakes to make four 1/2 cup servings.  I also added some dry basil, maybe a teaspoon (since I didn't measure).  Everything else is the same as the original recipe.

I sat outside while eating this for lunch.  The maintenance man complimented the aroma.

As long as I get my protein, I don't mind a vegetarian dish like this.  I don't think it even needs the beef bouillon I was thinking of adding.  But it could maybe use a touch of Worcestershire sauce in the lentil mixture.  Some chickpeas (garbanzo) beans might also make a good addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Crazy Woman Hobbies. Please keep your comments clean and respectful. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Link Exchange with Crazy Woman Hobbies