Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hobby Tip: Budget-Friendly Shopping #1

I decided I wanted to introduce a series of articles about some budget-friendly shopping for cooking and crafts.  Now these stores are located in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex area, so if you have different ones where you live, please share with us.

The first one that comes to mind is Dollar Tree:

You can find some food (a nice place for seasonings), some cooking utensils, and a few crafting items.  Their crafting supplies can be quite random.  I've seen glue sticks there, along with other assorted items.  If you're into crocheting/knitting, don't expect to find yarn here.

Edit: I'm not sure about other Dollar Tree stores, but this one I visited accepted EBT cards for food stamps.

Now if you don't mind slightly more expensive, but typically cheaper than Wal-mart, you can always try Big Lots:


Again, this is a pretty good place for seasonings, and you can normally find name-brand food items that are cheaper than Wal-mart's prices.  Like yesterday, I saw some Pringles chips being sold for $1.20, which is $0.30 cheaper than Wal-mart.

You can find quite a few kitchenware items here, including small appliances.

With crafts, it is an okay place for scrapbooking, and they do carry yarn, just not really big skeins of it.

Edit: I learned that this particular Big Lots (and maybe all others, I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that) does not accept EBT.  I found that ludicrous, given that the nearby Dollar Tree (which is cheaper than Big Lots) did accept that form of payment.  Other budget-friendly stores accept the card just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Crazy Woman Hobbies. Please keep your comments clean and respectful. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Link Exchange with Crazy Woman Hobbies