Monday, October 21, 2013

Upcycling: Kindle Fire HD Cover

I finished this on October 19, 2013.  I didn't take a picture of the interior, because personally, the harness and leaf-covers just look kludged together.  But the outside is rather lovely.  I need to figure out the holder for the Kindle before I try marketing these.


Believe it or not, those cover leaves are quite sturdy for maybe 1/8th an inch thick, at most.  To give the cover that look similar to those multi-colored wooden inlays you see on knives, I sanded the paper down and applied several layers of polycrylic to seal it and make it wet-proof.  Though it won't do the Kindle any good if it gets dunked.  :-P

The cover leaves take a week of work, so a friend suggested to streamline the process with a mold.  I just need a better harness system to hold the Kindle in its cover.  I think maybe some elastic to attach the Kindle by the corners.  I saw an attachment system like that on another Kindle cover at Wal-mart.

I'll figure out something though.  As long as it looks better than rumpled Fed Ex material.  :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Crazy Woman Hobbies. Please keep your comments clean and respectful. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Link Exchange with Crazy Woman Hobbies